Welding Codes that allow the use of Crushed Flux / Slag (reprocessed) as a welding consumable:
- American Welding Society (AWS)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
The above codes all state that “Each Lot / Batch Shipped” must be tested.
The governing codes have chosen to identify a Submerged Arc Welding (S.A.W.) Flux that has been manufactured from a slag generated from a specific brand and type of new (virgin) S.A.W. flux as a “Crushed Slag” (AWS, CSA) or *“Recrushed Slag” (ASME).
*It should not be confused with “flux reclamation or flux recycling”.
To determine whether code compliance is required for your operation call 1-800-377-3103 USA & Canada.
- All product testing is done by a third-party testing facility.
- Your company receives the original test documents for your records for each lot you have crushed.
- Third-party testing assures that your crushed flux meets the specifications you require.
- We will provide examples of test results, as well as answers to any questions you may have.
The following Crushed Flux/Wire combinations have all been Tested to an AWS/ASME/CSA Flux/Wire Classifications (as per the “S” designation):
|Crushed Flux / Wire Combination||Flux – Wire Classification||Governing Welding Codes||Number of Cycles Tested|
|761 / L-50™||FS7A0 – EM13K||AWS & CSA||21|
|761 / L-50™||FS7A0 – EM13K||AWS||6|
|761 / L-50™||FS7A0 – EM13K||AWS & CSA||42|
|761 / L-50™||FS7A0 – EM13K||AWS||12|
|761 / L-50™||FS7A0 – EM13K||AWS||23|
|761 / L-50™||FS7A0 – EM13K||AWS||14|
|761 / L-50™||FS7A0 – EM13K||AWS & CSA||5|
|761 / L-61™||FS7A2 – EM12K||AWS (ASME)||42|
|780 / L-61™||FS7TA2 – EM12K||AWS Two Run (A5.23)||21|
|781 / L-50™||FS7A2 – EM13K||AWS||3|
|781 / L-50™||FS7A2 – EM13K||AWS & CSA||2|
|781 / L-50™||FS7A2 – EM13K||AWS & CSA||17|
|781 / L-50™||FS7A2 – EM13K||AWS||1|
|781 / L-50™||FS7A0 – EM13K||AWS||12|
|781 / L-50™||FS7A0 – EM13K||AWS & CSA||19|
|781 / L-50™||FS7A0 – EM13K||AWS||18|
|781 / L-50™||FS7A0 – EM13K||AWS||19|
|781 / L-50™||FS7A0 – EM13K||AWS & CSA||11|
|860 / L-50™||FS7A2 – EM13K||AWS (ASME)||42|
|860 / L-61™||FS7A2 – EM12K||AWS||26|
|860 / LA-71™||FS7A2 – EM14K||AWS||1|
|860 / Esab 81™||FS7A2 – EM12K||AWS||23|
|880M / L-50™||FS7A8 – EM13K||AWS||19|
|880M / L-50™||FS7A8 – EM13K||AWS||22|
|960 / L-61™||FS7A2 – EM12K||AWS (ASME)||4|
|960 / L-70™||FS7TA2 – EA1||AWS Two Run (A5.23) (ASME)||1|
|960 / L-61™||FS7A2 – EM12K||AWS (ASME)||3|
The following Crushed Fluxes / Slags are used in Non Code Applications
Crushed 50 / Custom
Crushed 50 / Spoolarc® 36
Crushed 50 / Spoolarc® 81
Crushed 50 / McKay® 242-S
Crushed 60 / Lincolnweld® L-61™
Crushed 80 / Spoolarc® 81
Crushed 85 / Spoolarc® 36
Crushed 85 / Techalloy® 128™
Crushed 231 / Spoolarc® 80
Crushed 231 / Lincolnweld® L-61™
Crushed 350 / Lincolnweld® L-60™
Crushed 429 / Spoolarc® U515
Crushed 601 / Custom
Crushed 760 / Lincolnweld® L-61™
Crushed 780 / Lincolnweld® L-60™
Crushed 780 / Lincolnweld® L-61™
Crushed 781 / Lincolnweld® L-50™
Crushed 801 / Lincolnweld® L-60™
Crushed 801 / Lincore® 420™
Crushed 801 / Lincolnweld® L-61™
Crushed 801 / McKay® 410-S™
Crushed 802 / Lincolnweld® L-61™
Crushed 802 / Lincore® 420™
Crushed 860 / Lincolnweld® L-60™
Crushed 880 / Lincore® 40-S™
Crushed 880 / Stoody® 107
Crushed 880 / Lincolnweld® L-61™
Crushed 880 / Lincolnweld® LAC-B2™
Crushed 880M / Lincolnweld® 40-S™
Crushed 880M / Lincolnweld® LAC-B2™
Crushed 880M / Lincolnweld® L-61™
Crushed 960 / Lincolnweld® L-61™
Crushed 960 / Lincolnweld® LA-75™
Crushed 980 / Lincore® 420™
* It should also be noted that AWS A3.0:2001 “Standard Welding Terms and Definitions” also states:
- Crushed slag. A nonstandard term when used for recycled slag
- Reconditioned flux. Submerged arc welding. Virgin or recycled flux that has been processed for use or reuse. The processing may include screening for particle sizing, removal of magnetic particles and baking to remove moisture.
- Recrushed slag. A nonstandard term when used for recycled slag.
- Recycled flux. Submerged arc welding. Unfused granular flux remaining after welding that has been recovered for reuse. See also virgin flux.
- Recycled slag. Submerged arc welding. Fused slag remaining after welding that has been recovered and processed for reuse.
Lincolnweld®, Lincore®, 761®, 780® and 860® are registered trademarks of The Lincoln Electric, Co. 231, 350, 420, 781, 801, 802, 880, 880M, 960, L-61, L-60, L-50, 40-S, 420S, LAC-B2 and LA75 are trademarks of The Lincoln Electric Co.
Techalloy® is a registered trademark of Techalloy, a subsidiary of The Lincoln Electric, Co.
Spoolarc is a registered trade mark of ESAB
Harbert’s has no affiliation with ESAB, The Lincoln Electric, Co. or any other New Virgin SAW Flux Manufacturer.