Harbert’s Products slag/flux crushing process is detailed below.
1. A manufacture of the slag ships a *LOT of their slag to Harbert’s.
2. The slag is received and is inspected for **deficiencies, and / or nonconforming material.
3. The slag is then issued a “LOT” number, and placed in the “storage area” until it is ready to proceed to the “production area”.
4. The “CLOSED – LOOP CRUSHING PROCESS” [Learn More]:
4a. Removal of minor Nonconforming material if applicable (i.e. cigarette butts, paper, plastic, etc…) from slag prior to entering the S.A.W. Flux / Slag Crushing unit.
4b. Size crushed flux to each customer’s particular requirements.
4c. Visually inspect slag at various stages of the crushing process.
4d. Removal of magnetic impurities i.e. magnetized flux, weld splatters, weld wire tips & base metal mill scale.
4e. Perform moisture tests at regular intervals.
4f. Package in sealed containers, complete with plastic liners.
5. If the customer is welding to a governing welding code the following applies: A sample is sent to a 3rd party testing facility for Flux / Wire Classification testing.
6. Package crushed flux (or mixture of crushed flux and new / virgin flux) and mark containers in accordance with the latest issues of CSA Standard W48 Section 8.1 and/or ANSI I AWS A5.01 “Filler Metal Procurement Guidelines” and ANSI I AWS A5.17/A5.17M “Specification for Carbon Steel Electrodes and Fluxes for Submerged Arc Welding” (and ASME SFA-5.17) or A5.23/A5.23M “Specification for Low Alloy Steel Electrodes and Fluxes for Submerged Arc Welding” (and ASME SFA-5.23) as applicable.
7. The Crushed flux (or mixture of crushed flux and new / virgin flux) is then shipped back to the same customer that generated it.
*Harbert’s identify a LOT (or batch) of SAW flux / slag as:
A specific type of S.A.W. slag that was generated by a specific customer, shipped to our facility as one shipment, load, and / or identified by a P.O. number and / or shipping number. The SAW flux / slag is then crushed and shipped back to the same specific customer that initially shipped the SAW flux / slag to our facility.
**Harbert’s has a “QUALITY ASSURANCE SYSTEM” that identifies any deficiencies and/or nonconforming materials. This Quality Assurance System address; A) identifying, action to be taken, B) identifying, disposal, labeling and action to be taken of nonconforming materials.